Message from the Universe

DID YOU RECEIVE A MESSAGE FROM THE UNIVERSE?

Please share your feedback, comments, or thoughts by clicking HERE


Monday, October 30, 2017

Living Life in the Slow Lane


took my little camper with me as I toured the Petrified Forest National Park

I'm waking up every day filled with awe and gratitude for this life I am privileged to live. Since my last blog post one month ago, I have traveled over 1600 miles, which is somewhat high for sustainable full-time living... at least for me. I'm trying to give myself a break for now, though, as I navigate this lifestyle and find my sea legs! ...and move away from colder climates as winter approaches. 

So grateful for the opportunity to experience the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!

One of the discoveries I am most excited about is the benefits derived from "living life in the slow lane"! Literally. When I drive on the highways and even the country roads, I'm never in a hurry. I love being the slowest vehicle on the road... it's so much more relaxing than always trying to pass the next guy. I'm gentle with the gas pedal and try to avoid any kind of fast acceleration. That's not to say I'm driving unsafely. With a 75 mph speed limit, I'm usually cruising at about 65... which is the upper edge of safety for my little one axle trailer. 

I'm normally getting passed up on the highway by these bigger guys!

The clearest benefit of my leisurely cruising speed is the improved gas mileage... I'm getting upwards of 17 or more mpg when I'm towing!!! (around 22 when I'm not!) I had nightmares of excruciatingly low efficiency when I read other's experience of getting 12 mpg with a similar truck... ouch. It's truly remarkable how big an impact leisurely driving has on the bottom line. 
Let me spell it out. If I drive 1600 miles at 12 mpg, that is 133 gallons... at 17 mpg, it takes only 94 gallons to go the same distance. That's a savings of 39 gallons! ...about $100. :)))  Wooohooo!! So slowing down, relaxing, and enjoying the ride is helpful any way you look at it! 

with a smaller trailer, I'm easily able to back into any camp site :)

As I continue on this journey, I love my little camper more and more. It's easily managed by me and tows like a dream... it tracks beautifully behind my truck and there is almost no sway when it's windy or when big semi's pass me. Driving is actually a joy, which I am so very grateful for... I love to drive and towing has not dampened that experience for me. Of course I must be more mindful of road conditions and not driving into a place I can't get out of, but my little Casita is perfect for me. <3 

Exploring the Gran Quivira Ruins in New Mexico

I have experienced much diversity and beauty in my travels so far. When one has time to stop in small towns and explore areas in more depth, it's amazing the things you get to see! I'm still cultivating a flow for what I do and where I go... even when I think I know what's next, it often changes in the blink of an eye. 

I wasn't certain where I would be camping after my visit to the Petrified Forest... I checked out the "free campground" at the gift shop just outside the south entrance of the park and decided to stay for the night. I was a little nervous about being all by myself here, but it was awesome!! 

I have learned to not be attached to any of my ideas about planning. My only rule of thumb is that I at least have a destination in mind before starting the engine. It can always change, but even if all I know is that I'm gong to pull over at the next rest stop, that's good enough for me. Often, even when I think I know, everything will change. I'm grateful to have the freedom and ability to follow my flow wherever it takes me. I'm definitely getting used to this way of life!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a reminder, please follow me on my RV Facebook page and on my Instagram page for more regular updates and photos if you'd like to see more of my day to day journey! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are some more pics of my various adventures...

Taking time to explore the area around my campground... Storrie Lake State Park in New Mexico

The Rio Grande River near Albuquerque 

Taking time to make new friends... in Trinidad at the One Raggio Art Gallery 

Exploring my creativity... an abstract Casita magically appeared from a few swirly lines! 

hiking at Lathrop State Park in Southern Colorado

pull-through campsites are nice, but I'm totally not intimidated by backing in!

even when exploring in my truck, I love to slowly cruise the backroads and not be in any hurry

visiting my amazing friends in Albuquerque who where so wonderful to take me to the  Balloon Fiesta

view from the dam overlook at Bluewater Lake State Park in New Mexico

one of my favorite shots from the Crystal Forest Trail at the Petrified Forest NP

The view of the Painted Desert took my breath away

sunset from my current campground <3 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I'll be following in your footsteps next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! :) Best wishes as you prepare for your grand adventure! <3

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your wonderful words. I am still a property dweller, considering the change, but not sure I can do it alone. Something about a mailbox and permanent address are still nagging at me. I can feel the freedom and joy when I read your words and see your pix. So grateful you take time to post for us. You certainly do Inspire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and blessings to you in your journey. We all have our unique ways to discover and embrace our freedom and joy... imagine the feeling without knowing what form it will take... open to the possibilities, my friend. <3

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome... peace to you as well <3

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete